The Mission of HLAA is to open the world of communication to people with hearing loss by providing information, education, support and advocacy.
Education: Our primary purpose is to educate ourselves, our families, friends, coworkers, teachers, hearing health care providers, industry, government, and others about hearing loss.
HLAA provides adults and children with tools for self help; sensitizes the general population about the special needs of people who have hearing loss; and promotes understanding of the nature, causes, complications, and remedies of hearing loss.
- We provide information on many aspects of hearing loss, from technological and medical advances to coping and parenting strategies.
- We want to help you become an informed consumer on what options are available to you to help you make the best decisions on how to deal with hearing loss.
Advocacy: HLAA is a leading voice in improving communication access for people with hearing loss.
- We advocate for communication access in the workplace, hotels, schools, court systems, medical, and entertainment facilities.
- HLAA promotes new technology, medical research, and legislation that will alleviate the effects of hearing loss.
- We encourage and participate in research to improve hearing aids, assistive listening devices, and other technology needs of consumers with hearing loss.
- We push for research on understanding the causes of hearing loss and for development of new treatments.
- We testify before federal, state, and local legislative bodies on issues concerning people with hearing loss.
We help implement federal and state laws which benefit people with hearing loss.
Self Help: HLAA believes people with hearing loss can help themselves and one another to participate fully and successfully in society.
HLAA promotes self-confidence; empowers individuals with skills to improve their lives; and provides an opportunity for affiliation among people with hearing loss, their friends, families, and professionals.
- We work to develop options for ourselves and open doors for others.
- We provide support in setting up local support groups.