Be Part of Honoring HLAA’s Finest!
AWARDS NOMINATION PACKAGE FOR 2017
Deadline for submission is December 2, 2016.
HLAA will honor outstanding individuals, HLAA Chapters and State Organizations, companies, and organizations at the HLAA2017 Convention in Salt Lake City, Utah, on Friday evening, June 23, at the Awards Ceremony & Talent Show. Some awards are presented at our other convention events, but the main attraction is the Awards Ceremony & Talent Show. In addition to the awards, we will recognize outgoing chapter and state leaders, Walk4Hearing participants for leadership roles and program development from proceeds, Founder’s Day, and others when relevant.
Things to Know
Individuals nominated must be current HLAA Members. There are three exceptions:
- Alice Marie Stone Family Involvement
- National Access
- Outstanding Employer
- Nominations that include information closely matched to the specific award criteria explained herein stand the best chance of being selected.
- A prior year recipient for the same category in subsequent year will not be considered.
- Not all awards are presented each year.
- The awards committee reserves the right to select a recipient for another category than the nominee intended if it better fits other award criteria.
- The executive committee of the Board reserves the right to add an award at any time in addition to what is listed here.
- Submit the Award Application Form with each award submitted. For example, if you submit five nominations, you will submit five Award Application Forms – one for each award.
- Please submit nominations by email (ONE nomination per email) to email@example.com by December 2, 2016. Please note in the subject line: “Awards: Name of the Award.” We appreciate all submissions by email because time and geographical constraints makes dissemination to committee members more efficient. Thank you for your cooperation.
- If you have any questions about the submission process, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are various award committees depending on the award categories. These committees consist of, but are not limited to, HLAA Chapter and State leadership, Board of Trustees, national staff, community leaders, hearing health care professionals, etc. The committee for general awards is made of up a cross-section of people who have a strong interest in HLAA and/or people with hearing loss. The Board of Trustees awards are chosen by the executive committee of the Board of Trustees.
There are three awards not open for public nomination: the Rocky Stone Humanitarian Award which is given to a former Board member and is chosen by the Board of Trustees from a recommendation from a Board-appointed Rocky Stone Committee; the James B. Snow, Jr., M.D., Award which is chosen by the executive committee of the Board from nominations submitted by previous recipients of this award. The third is the Board Chair Award which is given to a recipient chosen by the board chairperson and decided by the board members. Nominations are held confidential and will not be discussed outside of committees.
Award recipients will be notified by mail in January 2017. If recipients are able to attend the HLAA2017 Convention to receive their award, they are offered the early-bird registration discount which expires March 31, 2017. (A registration form will accompany the award letter.)
Of those who submitted nominations and their nominee was not selected will receive a letter stating so by the end of January 2017. If your candidate was not selected, please consider submitting nominations in subsequent years.
Nominations are Accepted for the Awards Listed below.
AWARDS FOR CHAPTERS AND STATES NOMINATED BY HLAA MEMBERS
Chapters and states are encouraged to submit awards on their own behalf.
Nancy Wessner Outstanding State Chapter Coordinator
Newsletter – Chapter and State – These are two separate awards.
Outstanding HLAA Chapter on a Mission
Phoenix – Chapter and State
Professional Advisor Support – Chapter and State
State Association or State Office
Up and Coming Chapter – (Less than two years old)
Website – Chapter and State
AWARDS FOR HLAA MEMBERS NOMINATED BY ANYONE
Some of these awards pertain to chapters and states, please read the descriptions for each.
Alice Marie Stone Family Involvement
Get in the Hearing Loop Campaign
Marcia Dugan Advocacy
Outstanding Young Adult
Spirit of HLAA
BOARD OF TRUSTEES AWARDS (toward end of package)
These awards generally are open to nomination only by HLAA Chapters and State Organizations, HLAA current members, and staff of the national office. In some cases, people can self-nominate or it’s open to all (indicated with the award description). The recipients will be selected by the executive committee of the Board of Trustees.
Advocacy Hall of Fame
Board Chair (not open)
Walter T. Ridder
James B. Snow, Jr., M.D. (not open)
Rocky Stone Humanitarian Award (not open)
Hearing Loss Association of America opens the world of communication to people with hearing loss through information, education, support and advocacy.